The Friends support programs, services, and special projects for the Library. We underwrite:
- The Children’s Summer Reading program
- The Museum Pass Program
- Purchases that enhance the Library buildings and the experience of the patrons.
In 2018-19 these purchases included:
- Painting the Young People’s area
- New shades for the Art Gallery and Book Seller
- A match for the cost of the LED lighting for the Lansingburgh Branch
- Chairs for outdoor programming
- Air Conditioner and sign for the Book Seller
- Trimming, refurbishing the plantings at the Lansingburgh Branch
- A share of the cost of the Library newsletter
- Contributions to Staff appreciation Lunches
How We Do It
The Friends raise awareness of the Library in the community and rally support. We promote programs and services through activities such as:
- Sharing Library events on Facebook and to our members
- Highlighting Library services on our Monthly Facebook feature “Did You Know”
- Promoting the Annual Library Budget Vote and election of new Library Board Members
- Signing up new residents for Library Cards at community events
- Distributing unsold books to community organizations such as Books for Troops, Head Start, Unity House pre-school programs, etc.
The Friends bring support to the Library by coordinating members and volunteers to:
- Operate the Book Seller, the used bookstore at the Lansingburgh Branch.
- Organize Pop-Up Book sales at The Troy Flea, the Hidden Garden Tour, and other community locations.
- Conduct additional fundraising activities including the Holiday Raffle and the wrapping of books at Market Block Books
- Promote membership and contributions